Snow and sleet are never cause for sacrificing style. Today’s boots and booties give warm and chic options for every occasion, from work to date night, brunch, family dinners and more. I’m a huge fan of ankle booties, thanks to their low height and often-edgy styling. And this winter, designers have refined their favorite bootie styles with cool fabrics like suede and velvet and unexpected extras like studs, laces and contrast heels. Here’s a look at seven of my favorite booties, perfectly prepped for your wintertime wardrobe.
1. Glam: Leave it to Michael Kors to create a winter-ready yet unstoppably luxe bootie. The studded heel is a winning choice for cocktail parties and date night. Just add an LBD.
2. Trendy: Lace-up boots were a go-to in 2016 and continue to be one of the hottest trends for winter 2017. I love this Marc Fisher option, with a comfy block heel and round toe, that is both sexy and smart.
3. Casual: A strong heel ensures these perforated booties are as comfy as they are casually posh. Pair these Sam Edelman’s with joggers and a bomber jacket for a fun spin on athleisure.
4. Eclectic: This color block bootie boasts a rich blue or black hue, with a contrasting white heel. A perfect choice for gallery night or coffee with fashionable friends. (PS: Love these with a mini dress and tights!)
5. Refined: A great substitute for the classic black pump, these Jones New York stunners are a great pick for the office. Try them with sheer black hosiery for a modern take on an ’80s classic.
6. Street Chic: Cutout details and a peep toe make these a sleek option for warmer days — but don’t be afraid to add a pair of fishnet socks to make a daring street statement.
7. Bohemian: While I love the black leather version, the black and taupe suede options for these Franco Sarto booties are a perfect ode to ’70s bohemia. I adore the back tie and mid-heel height for all-day comfort and style. I’d wear these with ripped-hem denim and an oversized sweater.
Stylist’s Tip: Don’t forget — suede booties need a little extra care in the winter. A good protectant spray will seal them from the elements. And if they start to lose their luster, scrub them with a dry toothbrush to add a little life to tired suede boots.
No matter which booties you choose, have fun with how you style them. From patterned hosiery to scrunched down socks; rolled up jeans to skinny bottoms — your style is as bold or as subtle as you want it to be. So, go on, pick your favorite pair and get ready to put your best bootie forward!