It’s time to give summer the boot and welcome the season of colorful leaves, pumpkin spice and cozy sweaters. Yes, fall is here, and your feet are ready. But is your shoe closet?
Let’s be honest: There are about a million reasons to wear boots. They are generally more comfy that pumps (and allow for a little extra padding when needed), elevate any fall look and come in a variety of styles from flat ankle boots to over the knee, peep-toe, stacked heels and even wedges. Simply put, boots are the jam.
This fall, a variety of boot styles have made their way to the top of the must-haves list. Moto boots, boho styles and even lace ups are all on point and ready to be added to your fall wardrobe. Here’s a look at nine of my favorite styles, and how to wear them.
- Sleek Pointy Toe: The bootie version of the point toe pump, a sleek pointy toe bootie is a fall fashion must. Pair with everything from boho dresses to distressed denim, suede skirts, wide-leg trousers and more. Also a great office to date night option. I love these Nine West booties, with unique stud details, in both the cognac and black hues.
- Moto Boots: Wearing moto boots is like giving yourself an injection of cool — they have bling but aren’t showy, have edginess yet still maintain an air of femininity and are inherently stylish without being uncomfortable. I love to toss on moto boots with feminine styles like ruffled blouses, flowy dresses and dark florals to perfectly balance hard with soft. These Vince Camuto boots perfectly fit the bill with bold gold hardware and unexpected quilting details.
- Block Heel Ankle Bootie: I love for chunky heels for their comfort but also for their practicality — when temps turn and a little frost appears on the ground, a chunky heel is a must for me to feel grounded! A great choice for denim looks as well as paired with a sweater dress or leggings and a chunky knit, chunky heel ankle boots are a style statement for fall. These Franco Sarto boots, with a delicate back tie, are available in both suede and leather, and translate the trend with chic sophistication.
- Over-the-Knee Boots: Do you remember the days when OTK boots conjured images of Julia Roberts in “Pretty Woman?” Thanks to a push by designers and celebrities alike to integrate these statement boots into the mainstream, over-the-knee boots have been a fashionista must-have for the past few seasons. This season, suede is the go-to texture for the boots, and lighter colors like gray, nude and blush are replacing basic black leather. I love OTK boots over denim and leggings, but also paired with skirts and boho dresses. Keep the look casual and feminine to avoid the boots coming off as overly sexy, a la Julia.
- The Boho Boot: The boho boot, with its short heel and ankle-grazing height, is no longer just for the festival crowd — or summer in general. With light, gauzy dresses staying strong into fall when paired with jackets and denim cutoffs on trend with chunky knits, the boho boot is a must for your fall wardrobe. Best in light neutrals, like tan and gray, these boots are chic in simple suede or with perforation, like this pair from Lucky Brand, details like fringe or tassels, and even grommet details.
- Stacked Heel Tall Boot: The ’70s boot styles continue their reign this season, especially with these easy-to-strut-in tall boots. Black is classic in this style, but camel is another great color choice. Pair these easy boots with leggings and a sweater or a midi skirt and a feminine blouse for a ladylike look. I love these Marc Fisher boots, with a nod to the bohemian in stellar suede.
- Lace-Up Bootie: Details are everything when it comes to great accessories, and boots are no exception. Whether you are looking for a ladylike lace-up, cold weather chic lace-up bootie, OTK lace-up for date night or even a casual laced wedge for the weekend, lace-up booties are everywhere this season. When the weather turns cold, a warm texture, like this curly sheepskin is a must. But style shouldn’t have to suffer because the season’s change. The stacked heel, exposed sheepskin and suede lace-up detail ensure this boot is both stylish and functional.
- Ankle Wedge: The wedge sandal has been a style must for spring and summer for a few seasons, and now the wedge bootie is finally getting its time to shine. Perfect for achieving height and not sacrificing comfort, wedge styles look great paired with distressed denim as well as casual fall dresses. This Frye style is fall ready with a posh suede finish and on-trend ankle tassel. For a new take on the trend, try a fun color, like plum or navy.
- The Harness Bootie: A natural extension of the goddess and cage heel trends, the harness bootie is sexy yet sophisticated, with a fashion-forward vibe. Whether the harness is tone on tone or contrasting, like the plum hue of these Michael Kors harness booties, the look is always luxe. Try these for date night in lieu of strappy sandals, or for work with a slim suit.
So which fall boot will be your next style statement? Or maybe you need all nine of my favorites? Either way, you are sure to welcome fall in boots that are made for walkin’!